Filet Mignon Recipe
- Take the filet mignon out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you want to cook it, and season it liberally with salt and pepper.
- That time allows the meat to come to room temperature, outside and inside - Which will help ensure you cook it to the right doneness.
- Herb Butter
- Blue Cheese Butter
- Portobello Sauce
- Place filet on rack immediately above medium coals, uncovered
- Preheat grill, reduce heat to medium, place filet over the heat, cover.
- In either option, with a 1" thick cut, for medium-rare, grill 5-6 minutes, then flip to second for another 5-6 minutes (145 degrees on a meat thermometer).
- With a 1-1/2" thick cut, for medium-rare, grill 7-9 minutes then flip to second side and grill another 7-9 minutes. For medium cook 9-12 minutes per side, shooting for 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Select a heavy skillet just large enough for the filet to snugly fit.
- Pat the filet dry with paper towel. If you're not using a non-stick skillet, spray the skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Salt and pepper.
- Preheat skillet over medium-high heat until it's very hot. Add the meat. Don't add liquids. Don't cover.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Flip the filet when it naturally releases from the skillet- don't pry off. Flip after 5-6 minutes and cook the other side for 5-6 minutes more to reach 145 degrees (rare). Medium will take a couple minutes more per side. And a thicker filet will take a little longer.
- Transfer the meat to a platter, cover with foil and allow it to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving size recommendation: 3 to 4 ounces per person
- Carols Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Corn on the Cob