Jerry’s Beef Barley Soup
What You’ll Need
- 1 lb. leftover Jerry’s roast beef, cubed; set aside at room temperature
- (Optional) ½ pound fresh mushrooms, rinsed and drained
- 6T butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (10 ¾ oz.) condensed beef broth
- 1 small can tomato paste
- ¾ t. salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup barley
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1.5 cups sliced carrots
- 1.5 cups sliced celery
- (Optional) 1 pint sour cream
Makes 2 quarts/8 servings
- Chop half the mushrooms, slice the other half, set aside
- In a large kettle melt 4T butter, add chopped mushrooms, onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes
- Stir in broth, water, tomato paste, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Heat to boiling
- Stir in barley, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for one hour.
- After one hour, add parsley, celery and carrots; cook covered about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cubed leftover roast beef
- In a medium skillet melt the remaining 2T butter.
- Add the sliced mushroom and sauté 5 minutes; add to the soup.
- Ladle into large soupbowls
- (Optional) add a dollop of sour cream